Monday, August 22, 2005

YOU DECIDE!!!


Is this shirt gay or not?



Background:
My beloved friends from Ohio, "Keith and Bill," gave me this shirt in 1993 in recognition of my likeness to a Landfill Phantom and my confessed love for Allysin Chaynes I mean Alice In Chains. I thanked them for it, and closeted it stat, thinking it was "gay." I believe I had made the right decision at the time. I mean, who wants to look like he’s heading to Lollapalooza? Who wants to look like he’s heading back, even though demographically, and according to the latest figures, 89% of my friend base have in fact been to Lollapalooza at least once? While 46% surveyed indicate that they own an Alice In Chains album, 87% admit to liking at least one Alice In Chains song, with 75% of those responses singling out the single, "Would," from the Singles soundtrack (also from the album Dirt) as the overwhelming favorite; 20% goes to "Man in the Box (Baby You Know You Like It That Way)." And if 20% of the 87% are heading towards the train station, what percent of England has a July 4th?

But now it is time for me to face the skeleton and, as they say, "Jingle the Sleigh (Let's Do it One More Time)." So, is or is not the shirt "gay?" Can it be worn in public without heaps of ostracization descending upon the wearer? This is by no means a settled issue. And experts as geographically and aesthetically diverse as Lilly Locust and Apartmeant13 have weighed in.

Has the shirt accrued any nostalgic value in a universal sense? The shirt is only slightly worn looking. No tour dates on the back; only religious iconography, an Ace of Spades, and dog tags. That was hard to type . . .

YOU DECIDE, FUCKERS (Because I fucking can’t)!

8 comments:

betagirl said...

What would you wear it with (i.e. pants and shoes)?

betagirl said...

ahh. Fuckit! It really doesn't matter what you would wear it with. I vote "gay."

lms said...

Noooooooooooooooooooo! But you like AIC! YES?

betagirl said...

Whoa. Check out all of the blog spam you've got. That is insane.

Yes, I like AIC a great deal. I saw them at the Masqurade as a teen and it is still one of my favorite shows. The fact that the shirt is "gay" really has nothing to do with the fact that the band was great. My "gay" vote is more on the asthetics end of the voting spectrum.

Anonymous said...

blogging RULES!
check out my blog about blogging on blogs. its the total blogginest blog of all blaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgs. love. apt13. too lazy to type in my password.

oh yeah...BLOG!

will said...

alice in gay... btw check out my blog(s) if you're gay. byee. oh and i like gays and its gay to gaying all that gay. www.apt13.com for the gays for gaying. bye pt2.

Anonymous said...

the shirt is gay.

and as i recall, you were weird about it when they, two gay guys, gave it to you. "you like them, dontcha, baby?"

however, i have bought and do wear: a "guns 'n' roses live at the whisky" t-shirt and a mick's tongue rolling stones t-shirt.

but i am a black girl. so it's cool and ironic, and if gay, all the more cool.

wash the shirt in a little bleach and wear it inside out.

it will still be gay, but i will love it. if you are still confused, remember this: layne staley is dead. that makes it cooler than wearing a smashing pumpkins t-shirt.

they wished they were gay and were indeed faggy, but not cool enough to be more than foppish. if billy corgan were gay or dead, i would wear a pumpkins shirt.

http://big-chief.tumblr.com/ said...

i think you should wear your gay AIC shirt anyway as a kind of Big Nasty provocation to the non-gay shirts of the world: i'm here, i'm a queer tshirt, GET USED TO IT!